Response to the Business, Innovation and Skills Committee inquiry into the government's open access policy. It adresses the implication of the government’s preference for the gold open acess model over the green model.
We support measures to improve people’s access to information and are broadly in favour of the direction of travel on open access following the publication of the Finch report and the government's response. However, we do have some concerns about the implications of the gold model recommended by Finch and supported by the government. These relate to:
- The applicability of gold open access to the humanities and social sciences.
- The impact on lifelong learning and research.
- The impact on research intensive universities.
- The impact on library budgets.
- Support for institutional repositories.